Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Another Time

I spent Mother's Day with my mom. She lives about 100 miles from me. My intention was to go to church with her and then take her out to lunch. She was having some back and hip pain, so we didn't go to church. Then my brother was coming over, so she fixed lunch for him. We'll have to go out for lunch next time. Anyway we looked at some old photo albums and she talked about the pictures. She has couple of antique ones of her grandparent's generation but most of the pictures aren't marked. I'd seen this one before and thought it was suitable for framing. The lady in the middle is her grandfather's sister, Stella Northway. Mom said she always recognized her pictures by the eyebrows! The others we assume are friends of hers. Doesn't it look like they were having a fun girls day out? Did ladies have more than one hat, or were these very special? Look at those collars. I'd love to have a close look at the necklace the one on the left is wearing. Maybe only "fast" women wore earrings?

6 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Those hats are so cool! And the collars, the one on the left is so pretty, he hat is also a bit more flamboyant than the others. Very nice old photo! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great photo.

Nancy said...

What a perfect day with your mother! Trust me, write the names on the back of the photos that your mother can identify. I have a pile of family photos and don't have a clue who the people are, so future generations will not know either.

Aunt Dinah said...

I know you treasure every moment with your mother, Mary. The old photo is marvelous. It's interesting that people didn't smile much when they had their photos taken in those days. Now we tell everyone to say cheese. Wonder when that changed and why.

Tipper said...

Totally amazing picture!! I just love it. So glad you and your Mom had a good day together.

*debbi* said...

Would love to see the details close-up. I often stare at old family photos like these and try to fathom what's behind the faces. Your great-great aunt has a bit of a saucy look to me, more personality than the others. My grandmother (have you ever heard of Mabel Sears?) sometimes wrote little stories on the backs and they are a treasure. She would love blogging! Scrapbooking is so rampant nowadays--if they survive, our descendents will probably know more about us than they want! This is just precious. *debbi*