Sunday, October 16, 2011

Just Another Day in Paradise

This is the view from my patio a couple of weeks ago. I had been working at the kitchen sink and happened to look out the window. I thought it was a grass fire and since the wind was blowing (again) 30 mph, I wasn't sure whether to get out the garden hoses or start hauling my photo albums and other treasures to the car.

It was a scary sight. Amid all that smoke is a sunflower processing plant which could provide a lot of fuel for a fire.

Here you can see a little hint of it.

I eventually found out that it really was just smoke. The fire, which started in a cornfield, was nearly two miles away. A cigarette is the suspected source. The firefighters had it pretty much under control until it caught a pile of railroad ties. The newspaper said that a ditch was dug and the ties were pushed into it to finish burning. Evidently, if they were buried they could continue to smolder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Mary! That much smoke would have scared me to death. Your photos are incredible. Hopefully, you will have a good week!

Far Side of Fifty said...

scary..I am glad they got it out:)