Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Must Read

I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I read a great deal and this is one of the best I've read in a long, long time. I don't use words like delightful and poignant, but I would use them to describe this story. The setting is just after WWII. The writer wants to cover war stories in a different way than the usual. She finds those stories through a series of letters. There is humour, sadness and tales of evil.
I even made note of a couple of quotes that spoke to me. Seneca was credited with saying "Light griefs are loquacious but the great are dumb.

In response to the statement "Life goes on." the Authors say have their character, John Booker, write, "It's death that goes on....There's no end to that. But perhaps there will be an end to the sorrow of it"

This story isn't all gloom and sadness. I really didn't expect to finish it, but I found I didn't want to put it down. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, Thanks for the book reference and thank you too for your kind comments on my blog earlier. May God bless you richly in the year ahead.